Art-Full Week

This is actually about two weeks ago. But I was so busy finishing my last epic philosophical catastrophe that I'm having to play catch up now. So… Last, last, last week I took off from work so that I could prepare for two events. First, the Kirkland art fair thingy, and second, my favorite band was coming into town. Why did that need preparation time? Well, because I was making art for them. Duh.

Here's how it all went down. I started communicating with Samantha from Virgin Black years ago because I was so inspired by a song of theirs that I wanted to make a sculpture based on it, but some of the lines were too poetic for me to fathom. She was very open and helped me out a great deal. At some point she saw a picture of a sculpture I had done a long time ago. She told me she really liked it. And since it was just sitting in my scrap pile after suffering a lot of moving damage, I figured I'd use it as bait to get them over here when they went on tour. They are from Australia, so their US tours are few and far between. I told her she could have it if they came to Seattle. So once they released their tour dates, I had to actually fix the thing up. I ended up spending more time refurbishing it then I did making it in the first place. I also endeavored to make a sculpture for Rowan, the singer, based on another one of their songs. I endeavored but failed. Again, I learn that everything I do takes 10 times longer than I think it will. I don't know how many times I'm going to have to learn this before I learn it. So I just gave him one of my lion heart sculptures.

I went and saw them on a Tuesday night and dragged Heather along. (She's a great trooper considering how little she likes this kind of music. It was a fantastic show. Their new bass player also sings and can hit those same operatic notes Rowan does, so they had some great layered vocals just like on the CD. I hung out with them for a while after the show and they are the nicest people you could ever meet. I gave Samantha and Rowan their sculptures.

I asked them how they were doing on their tour. They said their first driver almost crashed three times in the first day, so they fired him. And there have been a lot of other disasters as well. They are losing a ton of money. I said they must then be doing it for the love of it, and Rowan immediately said that wasn't why. I asked why then, and he said they were "being obedient." Sam tried to explain that this is just something that they have to do, but couldn't really explain it. I told her I think I know what she's talking about as I have a similar mission I feel like I've been given. (That whole Crymsin Hymnal music project thing.) It was a great night and I was elated to find that my music heroes are kind and humble people who are seeking to do the right thing.

That weekend was Kirkland Uncorked, a wine tasting and art festival. My Santa sculpting friend Dennis procured me a booth again this year. This time I came prepared with shiny fliers about my sculpting classes to pass out. It looks like I'll have another full class as a result. (I applied to teach at Michael's last month and they seemed excited, but never got back to me. I need to follow that up.)

My mom had the kids down for a couple of weeks so I was able to get so much done, and I'm amazed at little that is when compared to my ambition. Sometimes I wish I was one of those people who could just put in their 9 to 5, go home and watch TV and go to bed being content with life. I'm sick of feeling like I can never accomplish everything I feel like I need to do. I suppose like everything else in life, it's about finding a balance.

Comments

sarah said…
meeting Virgin Black...
jealousy...

(hi, by the way. we communicated once several years ago.)

Popular posts from this blog

Epic Weekend

Coming of Age Ceremony

Book Musings: The Righteous Mind - Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion