A day in the life

Ok. I'm out of breath, but I've gotta do this. I am attempting to record what a typical day for me is. When trying to figure out how to work an exercise and weight lifting routine into my evening schedule I hit a wall. But I know I have a tendency to exaggerate things, and close my mind off before I've really assessed the situation fully. So I am going to chronicle the events of tonight and see if I'm not as overworked as I thought.

5:59-6:00pm I'm home! Shane answers the door. He's so cute!

6:00-6:05pm Talking to my nanny about the kids day. How much TV time they have used, the status of Justin's homework, etc. I have to talk over Shane whining about how I never let him watch TV.

6:05-6:10pm Get changed, move a giant pile of blankets that somehow accumulated on my bedroom floor. Notice that I still have a gigantic pile of laundry in the middle of the hallway. Better get to that. Oh yeah, the light is burnt out, I can't see. Oh yeah, I forgot to get lightbulbs. I look around for a lightbulb to steal from a less necessary lamp. I find one but it's on, so it's too hot to grab. I turn off the light.

6:10-6:15pm While waiting for the light to cool off I start dinner for the kids. Oh good! There are some leftover Spaghetti-O's. I accompany that fine dish with a garnish of cut-up hot dogs and green beans. Sometimes I can't believe what a great chef I am.

6:15-6:25pm Change the light in the hallway, sort some laundry, and start a load.

6:25-6:35pm Get the laptop out of my workbag and hook it up. Starting this log and getting to this point now. Shane comes in and gives me a big kiss. What a sweet heart! I love my boys.

6:35-6:47pm Folded and put away laundry from dryer. Note for the 30th time that Shane needs some pants without holes in them. Changed the sheets on my bed and dusted. My allergy test showed that I am allergic to animals, grass, trees, dust… oh, and also everything else that exists. And also, if something new were to come into existence, I'd be allergic to that too.

6:50-7:04pm More misc. cleaning. I'm talking to a sick friend on the phone while I clean with one hand. The kids are playing in the storage closet, drowning in a pile of clothes and costumes I once had organized. I pulled them out mere seconds before they died.

7:05-7:30pm Arrrgh! So much to clean!!! I make Justin clean his art supplies off the table while I zip from spot to spot trying to get as much crap off the floor and counters as possible. I look over his homework, then set him to his 15 min. of nightly reading he is supposed to do. He says he's done after 5 min. Making the kids do anything requires at least three requests, demands, or other sort of effort. I'm glad I was never like this as a kid! Aahh! The snake is escaping! He pushed the lid ajar and is climbing up the window frame. I catch him and put him back, clean out the remains of a mouse, and refill his water. Oh, and put more weight on the lid of his cage.

7:30-7:45pm Justin is done with his reading. I record it on his reading log. I just helped Shane make a bunch of tiny little sculptures out of Super Sculpy. He always wants me to make the eyes. Justin wants to make one now. I put them in the oven and get back to cleaning.

7:45-8:00pm I take the kids "babies" out of the oven. Shane has a name for all 10 of his little blobs with eyes. I just put a pair of pants in a dye bath because I don't have any red pants. And everyone needs red pants. More cleaning. I sprayed some release agent on a mold that I need to pour tonight. Oh, I just realized tomorrow is the first. I need to do some bills.

8:00-8:25pm I dropped off the rent check downstairs, came back up and did the night time routine. Each kid picks a book, I read them, then we read the Bible together and talk briefly about what we learned. Then I help them to pray. We brush our teeth, and I listen to the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth as they beg for snacks, toys, or anything else that will keep them from going to bed. I am a ruthless and cruel tyrant. I say after bedtime they don't get any of those things. This is the second worse time of every day. I heat up some left-over Chinese for dinner and sit down in our room. I have to be here to keep the peace or screaming fights will break out.

8:30-9:15pm I eat dinner and read some forums. I have to shush the kids about every 3 minutes.

9:15-9:36pm I pour some resin in a mold, during this 2 minute procedure, both kids pop out of bed and assault me with more begging. I tell them sternly to return to bed. Justin ignores me and quickly grabs the little sculpture we made earlier. I stop him and really sternly tell them to get back in bed. I floss, brush, and repeatedly tell them to stay still and quite. OK, now to get my extra work done!

9:39-10:02pm I finished up a little section of a level I needed to make beautiful. The kids keep bugging me. It looks like they aren't going to go to sleep until I lay down with them. So I'll try to do my Bible study and prayer in bed... Try... Here goes.

10:02-10:40pm The kids still aren't asleep. They were relatively quite while I studied and read the Bible though.

10:40-11:30pm They finally fall asleep and so do I.


Popular posts from this blog

Science and Conspiracy

Altered Carbon and the Problem of Sci-fi density

The Particular as the Enemy of the Good